Brooklyn's New Beginnings

Welcome to our travel blog. Come with us to China as we become a family of four.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Thoughts from a 7 year old

As I shuffled through Josh's backpack yesterday afternoon I found an illustration along with a comment of "what I was doing August 1999". His response? "I was in my daddy's tummy" with a bristley haired man sporting a round belly. I had to laugh at both what he wrote and of him, for some odd reason, not remembering that babies are in MOMMY's tummies. I told him, "honey, in August 1999 you were 3 months old, and you were born out of MOMMY's tummy".

I'm sure that was on his mind when this question came up tonight. As I sat here working, I happened to glance out the window as Josh was pulling down his undies taking a whiz on the grass. Then I noticed Brooklyn was looking on curiously. She went over to the same spot, tried to undo her bibbed overalls and stood in the same position with her hands strategically placed like Josh's. I about fell out of my chair laughing. Then she went over to the forbidden tomato plant and decided it looked better pulled out and laying on the ground. again.

I pounded on the window "stop that!", and went outside to replant the discarded vine and beat the hell out of my child. As I was walking back in, Josh said "you need to be pregnant with Brooklyn". I turned, puzzled, and said "but she is already born, and don't you think she is a little big to be in my (fat ass) tummy?" He said "yah". I then explained to him that she was born from another women's tummy, and the other women couldn't take care of her so she lived with Mr. Z and he took care of her until we went to China to bring her home. I went on to tell him "mommies and daddies have children through their tummies or through adoption, and both ways make families".

Simple enough for him, and he went on playing basketball.

2 Comments:

  • At Sun May 06, 05:29:00 PM PDT , Blogger Mary, Jason, & Maya said...

    What a cute story! I can just see that conversation. I can also see Brooklyn with the tomoato plant...too funny. Sorry we had to bolt on Saturday. I am a little storm phobic these days. We had a great time. Thanks for the salad! Oh, and the cupcakes were to die for. I want that recipe.

     
  • At Sun May 06, 07:31:00 PM PDT , Blogger Ashley said...

    My pleasure, Mary. It was nice to have you and your family over.

    Don't think twice about having to run. I completely understand.

    The cupcakes were out of a box that I bought from Whole Foods, as well as the frosting. The frosting called for regular milk but I made it with soy milk. I knew it would taste good, but I didn't know I would like it more than any other white frosting I've had.

    Others at the party that will not even look at the word soy actually liked the frosting. I might have to use it on a recipe I have for monkey bread.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home